General Information and Coverages

Eligible Property & Coverages

Standard fire insurance is available for property in Connecticut that is in insurable condition. We provide Actual Cash Value - not replacement cost coverage. We provide very basic named peril coverage, which does not include perils such as theft, freezing, water damage, etc. Please refer to the Dwelling Form DP 00 01 or Commercial Form CP 00 99.

HABITATIONAL PROPERTY: 1 - 4 family owner or tenant occupied dwellings, condominiums and row houses.

PERSONAL LIABILITY: only 1 to 3 family occupied dwellings, 1 to 3 family vacant/unoccupied dwellings written in the name of an Estate and 1 to 3 family dwellings that are vacant/unoccupied under renovation are eligible.

COMMERCIAL PROPERTY: 5+ family apartment buildings, mercantile and manufacturing risks.

INELIGIBLE PROPERTIES: 1) Vacant property that is not in the name of an estate or not under renovation, and 2) Farm Property.

VACANT ESTATE: eligible for Fire, Extended Coverage, Vandalism & Malicious Mischief and Liability (subject to inspection) coverages but named insured has to be "the Estate of".

VACANT UNDER RENOVATION: Fire, Extended Coverage, Vandalism & Malicious Mischief are available for Dwellings and Commercial Property. Liability is available on 1 - 3 family dwellings, subject to inspection.

BUILDER'S RISK: buildings under construction are written on a completed value basis. Evidence of construction, i.e. contracts, letter of intent must be provided.

COINSURANCE: commercial policies can be written with coinsurance of 80%, 90% or (flat) no coinsurance. Habitational policies are written flat.

SCHEDULE/BLANKET: Blanket coverage is not available. Schedules are no longer available, unless 2 or more buildings are on the same lot. Each location will have a separate policy and requires a separate application.

Habitational - $250, $500, $1,000, $5,000, $7,500 or $10,000.
Commercial - $500, $1,000, $2,500, $5,000, $10,000, $25,000, $50,000 and $75,000.

Deductibles for vacant buildings under renovation, under construction or in the name of an estate will be equal to 5% of Coverage A (building), subject to a minimum deductible of $1,000. Dwellings located within 2600' of the Connecticut shorelines will have two deductibles - one deductible for named perils and a separate hurricane deductible (5% of Coverage A - building).

Limits of Insurance

The word "location" is defined as a fixed location. The maximum limits:

(There is no Automatic Reinstatement clause in FAIR Plan policies)

Coverage A1 to 4 family dwellings$350,000
Coverage CHousehold contents & personal property$75,000
Coverage BOther Structures may apply 10% of building amount (not additional insurance)
Coverage DFair Rental Value may apply 10% of building amount, not to exceed 1/12 per month - (not additional insurance)
Fire Resistive Construction$1,000,000
Ordinary Masonry Construction$700,000
Frame construction$200,000
Fire Resistive Construction$250,000
Ordinary Masonry Construction$200,000
Frame construction$200,000
The above commercial content limits may be doubled in the case of sole occupancy at any location.
The foregoing maximum limit of insurance may be increased upon approval of the Governing Committee but in no event shall the total amount of insurance exceed $1,500,000 on any single risk.
Personal Liability (includes $1,000 medical payment coverage):DescriptionLimits
Only 1 to 3 family occupied dwellings, 1 to 3 family vacant or unoccupied dwellings written in the name of an Estate and 1 to 3 family vacant/unoccupied dwellings that are under renovation are eligible, Subject to Inspection.
Coverage amounts available:$300,000
(Form # CFP181 Lead Exclusion is attached to all liability coverage except for one family owner occupied dwellings. This excludes coverage for any claim that results in any way from lead.)
Animal BitesEffective 1/1/04, we have the 'Animal Liability Exclusion Endorsement' that allows us to provide liability coverage but exclude any animal(s) that has bitten and is still on the premises. An 'Acknowledgement of Exclusion of Animal Liability Coverage Form' must be completed and signed by the Applicant/Insured before we can add this endorsement.